Progamming / Planning, Design, and Construction Administration for Corporate and Institutional Clients
Over the past 15 years, Signer Harris Architects has successfully delivered more than 25 Animal Care Facilities for the Research and Development community. Our intimate knowledge of relevant design criteria set forth by regulatory agencies including AAALAC, NIH, CPCSEA, PC2, FDA, and IACUC allows us to create a variety of animal care facilities ranging in size from 2,000 to 20,000 square feet. In addition to the standard design areas (holding and procedure rooms, cage wash, storage), SHA’s specific areas of vivaria expertise include, but are not limited to:
- Barrier Facilities
- Necropsy Suites
- PET Imaging Suites
- MRI Suites
- Optical Imaging Suites
- Animal Husbandry
- Histology Suites
Selected Project Experience
- Large Animal Facility 7,400 square foot expansion of existing animal care area and reconfiguration of the clean and dirty cage wash rooms.
- AAALAC Vivarium 10,000 square foot fit out for a new full barrier facility which includes holding rooms, DMPK procedure rooms, clean and dirty cage washing, necropsy rooms, food and bedding rooms, and a PET imaging and Optical suite.
- Imaging Lab 5,600 square foot interior renovation of the imaging and animal care facility includes the expansion the PET imaging lab and Optical lab. The project includes the expansion of the existing animal care area and relocation of imaging rooms and equipment, workstations, and freezer/ equipment room.
- Animal Care Facility Recommissioning 7,500 square foot expansion including new animal necropsy rooms, procedure rooms, rackwashers, and holding systems with automatic watering systems.
- Animal Care Facility Barrier Upgrade Improvements to 2,000 square foot animal care facility including necropsy procedure room, ventilated rack holding rooms, and barrier airlocks.
- Necropsy Lab Conversion of a Bioprocess Receiving Office into an animal necropsy room. The renovation improved work flow by allowing for the installation of a high-efficiency fume hood, downdraft table, recirculation hoods, mobile work surfaces, and necessary support equipment.
- Chemistry and Imaging Lab 10,000 square foot renovation for a new state-of-the-art chemistry lab and animal NMR Imaging Suite. Also included were new animal PET Imaging and Optical Suites.
- Large Animal Facility 3,500 square foot renovation included animal holding rooms, Cryomacrotome room, and necropsy room expansion.