- Create a first class research environment for this world leader in genomic research.
- Design flexible space that allows the Institute to respond nimbly to changes in research and funding.
- Create a destination that is consistent with the existing Broad facilities.
- Meet a tight time schedule, designing while the program is being finalized.
- Design wonderful spaces within two proportionally challenging areas of the existing shell space: 40' x 450' and 60' x 500'.
- Designed flexible lab space with overhead service carriers and moveable benches.
- Developed an organized community of spaces, with clear paths of travel and orientation.
- Used glass extensively to maintain both visual and conceptual transparency.
- Clustered user groups around “Scientific Living Rooms” – places that encourage communication and collaboration.
- Selected a palette of finishes, materials, and colors that reminds one of the other Broad buildings, but that also has a unique identity of its own.
Arup, McNamara/Salvia, Faithful & Gould, Acentech, Sladen Feinstein, AV Helpdesk, The Cavan Group